Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Wednesday Randomness...Stress, ugh.

The topic for this week’s Wednesday blog is what I do to relax when I’m stressed. I kind of laughed when I saw this topic because people who know me know that I am pretty much a huge ball of stress most of the time. I do manage to keep it bottled up quite a bit, but that doesn’t help. I have tried different things over the years to relieve my stress and so far, none of them have stuck. But, let’s see what I’ve at least attempted.

Yoga. Yup, I tried it. I liked yoga, but I didn’t find it particularly de-stressing. I was always worried about not being able to do the poses or people judging me for being too overweight to wear yoga pants in public, so it wasn’t a relaxing experience for the most part. It did help with my flexibility though.

Meditation/relaxation techniques. This did not work at all. I seem to have a very hard time quieting my mind; I spent most of the meditation time worrying that I couldn’t quiet my mind, so that made the whole process even harder.

Massages. I’ve tried getting massages a few times over the years. And I do like them, but the relaxation I experience at the time ends as soon as I walk out the door.

Gardening. A couple of years ago, I planted my first vegetable garden. It has gone all right, for someone who has always had a black thumb. I get a ton of tomatoes every year, but haven’t found my stride with other veggies yet. And, while I like trying to grow my own food, I don’t find it relaxing. I’m always worrying about why some plants aren’t growing and not weeding enough and are they getting enough sun/water.

In case you haven’t caught on yet, I can pretty much take anything that should be enjoyable and/or relaxing and turn it into a stressful situation. It’s my personality; I’ve always been this way. There are a couple things I can do that sort of help, but I still walk away feeling some level of stress.

Reading. I love to read, it’s really my favorite pastime. But it’s not as relaxing as it should be. I get too caught up in things emotionally, or spend too much time worrying about the tasks I *should* be doing while I’m reading.

Exercise. The ultimate de-stressor. All those endorphins are supposed to make you happy. All I do is worry that I’m not doing right, that I’m being judged for being too overweight (if I’m out in public), or that I basically just suck if I miss a day in my schedule. It’s good for the half hour/45 minutes that I’m exercising, but then things start up again in my mind.

What it comes down to is I’m basically always stressed and worry most of the time. I’m too tightly wound for my own good. Even writing this post made me anxious because I can’t really answer the question posed. So, if anyone has any other good stress relieving suggestions, let me know!

Check the blogs of the other Wednesday ladies to see how they de-stress:

4 comments:

  1. The only thing yoga ever did for me was teach me to fart quietly. Don't worry, it's not just you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the guided imagery/meditation thing, but it takes me much longer than most (I think) to get to the point of relaxing because quieting my brain is quite the feat.

    And yeah other supposed stressed relievers tended to stress me out more than I already was in the first place. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same issues about exercising in public. :/ And also, alone. I' pretty sure I"m not doing any of it right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But that's the whole point of exercising...you let it all go! Who cares what you look like. I guarantee that if anyone else is thinking anything, it's hell yeah, you go girl! Though I confess, this is why I run in the woods, where I rarely and I mean rarely meet people. It's me time. Not for others. But hey, if they want to stare at my ass as I run past...that's their problem, lol.

    Oh, and I have a big 70 pound malamute/husky they can talk to if they have opinions :D

    But yeah, I think lots of the destressing things just add to it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete